Monday 28 August 2017

Why I Got A Second Job | Being Self-Employed and Employed

 
Yasssss #girlboss life! 
T-Shirt : Pretty Little Thing // Jacket : New Look // Lipstick : Stila, Beso

Two jobs? You must be crazy! That's what I've been getting told, but I know making this decision has been the best thing I've done for myself in a long while.


If you've been reading my blog or following me on Twitter or Instagram for a while you will know that I have been self-employed for nearly two years now, opening my own business MOKU Communications last December with two of my colleagues (friends) from my previous job.

I work at/for MOKU Mon-Fri (and sometimes and weekends but I tend to keep that to a minimum) for as many hours as I can/need too and I do this from home 99% of the time.

Working from home, of course, to most people sounds like a dream and yes I am so grateful that it is something I can do week in, week out and I bloomin' LOVE my job but there is, like all jobs, downsides.
If you haven't read my 'Things I've Learnt From Working At Home' post yet I'll link it HERE but one of the points I bought up is how lonely working alone at home can be.

I've always worked with the public, or most recently in an office and have been so used to having human contact everyday that working alone is definitely something I'm still getting used too, even after nearly a year. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to get something else to do with my time, even if just once a week, being stuck in my flat for so long each day was slowly taking it's toll.
I'm such a people person and really do love chatting, communicating and generally being a bit of a butterfly..... so when my boyfriend was coming home to me each day he was literally getting his ear chewed off by me... the girl sat in a computer staring at a screen for 8 hours, getting out into the world really has been helping both my mood and my mind.

Another reason is pretty obvious one. Money. 
Being self-employed is always a risk and I have experienced both the highs and the lows in just a few months, so having another form of income can only be a positive in my opinion.

The job I am now doing alongside my full-time PR job now is in fashion retail. I never thought I'd see the day I was back in retail but this time round I have to say I'm loving it. 
I think this is mainly because it is just a little something extra in my life with no pressures or huge responsibilities tied to it.
I go in once or twice a week for a short shift and really enjoy it. I love being able to put outfits together for each shift and actually get up and put make-up on.... unlike my everyday job of sitting at home in a tracksuit. It's nice to be able to chat to people and help them out... I'm actually shocked at how much I enjoy myself, although I don't think I'd feel the same if I did it full-time.
My love for fashion and styling has been reignited, I've spent so long plodding along with the same old wardrobe putting in zero effort and I'm so excited to be back to finding my style and trying out all the latest trends.

So I am now officially both self-employed and employed and although, yes I sometimes now I have to work weekends, I definitely think I've made a good choice in terms of my mental well-being for now.
I'm still a girl boss but have also got a fun little side job I spend a few hours a week at... win-win!


What do you think? Am I bonkers?



Want to chat or see more? Find me below :

Twitter - @alohakirstie
Instagram - @alohakirstie
Facebook - /AlohaKirstie

Share:

2 comments

  1. no, I think you're doing it just right! I spent a few days at home alone due to an illness and I was going mad so working from home every day would drive me crazy too!
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah tooooooooootaly get this Kirstie! I think having two jobs (to get that human interaction) is so important! I have been considering training to teach yoga, as I need to have a balance, I would love to try and teach or do something active (with other humans) at least two times per week. It is an interesting learning curve, isn't it? Immy x

    www.immymay.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for coming over and checking out my blog! Feel free to leave a comment or question - or for an instant answer tweet me @alohakirstie and I'll be sure to get back to you asap :)

© Aloha Kirstie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig